Monday, May 01, 2006

My Birthday Weekend

On Friday, April 28th I turned 35 years old. I think I was born at around 11:00 a.m., but someone will have to confirm as I don't have much recall from that time in my life.

I'm actually at peace with my age. I don't feel old and I don't feel young. I feel about 35 years old. I feel old at church where I'm in the top 25% in age in our ward and I feel young at work because I'm in the bottom 25% for age. Then when I go to city manager conferences I feel like a little kid because most city managers are gray haired, old coots. (Sorry Dad)

Most of you know that I downplay my birthdays because I don't care much for the attention. In fact our family doesn't do much for birthdays as compared to other families. Maybe it's because there are 7 kids and it just seems expensive to buy everyone gifts or that when we were growing up birthday parties were banned once we reached 10 years old (or somewhere near that age).

A couple of years ago Mom and Dad forgot to send the ol' birthday check and for someone who loathes birthdays, I should have not mentioned it. I guess it's a double standard. If I don't like birthdays then I shouldn't expect the rewards that come with them. Anyway the next time I saw Dad I mentioned it to him and he opened up the wallet and forked out $75 in cash. I actually felt guilty for even asking so I guess I should either accept birthdays or keep my fat mouth shut.

This weekend was pretty fun. On Friday (actual birthday) I got up at 6:00 a.m. for morning basketball. I had a seminar in Salt Lake on Redevelopment Agencies and then was home for the day. Kim and Dave came down for the weekend to celebrate my birthday (actually Kim didn't realize it was my birthday, but we hosted them anyway). We headed to the Swan Lakes golf course in Layton to play their putting course.

A putting course is different than a mini-golf course in the fact that a putting course is actual small narrow greens that range from about 20 feet to about 90 feet long. There are no obstacles in the way and you're putting on actual grass. Some of the holes had a small twist or turn in them which made the putting difficult. Because of the length of some of the holes they were actually a par 3.

Kim had the shot of the day, landing a 60 foot putt about a foot from the hole. Unfortunately she didn't do that on every hole so she had to settle for second place. Final scores:

Dave 75
Becky 76
Kim 68
Scott 61

After the great golf game we headed to Red Robin for a hamburger. I like two different hamburgers there. The Royal Red Robin and the Monster Burger. The Royal Red Robin is a basic burger with bacon and a fried egg on it. It's unique, but tasty. The Monster Burger is a basic burger with two patties (1/2 pound of heart attack). After a little debate I opted for the Monster Burger and of course these come with a bottomless basket of fries. The problem I had was that I downed 3 Dr. Peppers by the time the food arrived therefore it was a struggle to finish the Monster Burger. Being the trooper that I am, I perservered and finished it off. It might have took a year or two off my life, but at least some kid in Africa won't be fired up at me for wasting food.

We got home about 10:00 p.m. and you would of thought it was 2:00 a.m. We didn't even crack open the birthday cake so you know we were tired.

I received some great birthday gifts. Aubree got me a new alarm clock radio. My old one was struggling to turn off when I hit snooze which is a big problem. Becky got me a golf bag that I actually purchased a month ago. I used Mom and Dad's windfall to buy two new golf clubs, a sand wedge and a seven wood. I put them to use on Saturday and absolutely loved them. Becky's parents gave me money towards a screen door for our front door that comes with installation, Stan style. Kim and Dave got me a Godfather's Pizza gift certificate that we promptly put to use that night. Becky also made me a great breakfast in the morning which was a nice treat, it's not often that I get that.

I appreciate the phone calls from everyone. Marcus was the only one who missed, but he called two days late. It's OK because I was two days late on his birthday phone call too.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Acutally, Dave beat me by one stroke. I believe I was the big loser but I sure improved on the back 9.

I love Scotty and am glad we get to celebrate him once a year. He really is a great husband!!

Monday, May 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sweet birthday, Scott. I can't believe Mom and Dad forgot to send you your birthday check last year!! As a parent of small children, I can't fathom forgetting your child's birthday. It's probably easier when you have a whole slew of kids and inlaws to remember. I guess you don't remind them enough that your birthday is coming up. I made a comment to Rob about birthdays just know and we suddenly realized that Rob's dad's birthday was on Sunday and he forgot to call both on Sunday and today. Oh crap.

Monday, May 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was a lot of fun to read!! Glad that you had a good birthday. No "Scotty Birthday" would be complete without a trip to Godfather's. Man, their taco pizza sounds really good right now. Oh, and at Red Robin I always choose between the BTLA Crossant and the Texas Toast club. Both Great choices!!!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Also... you think forgetting a birthday is bad, Trav's folks forgot his Christmas. He came home before his mom had gone shopping and it slipped their minds. It makes me sad for him!

Tuesday, May 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home