Sunday, May 07, 2006

Movie Review: Mission Impossible 3

Earlier this week we had our old friends from Afton (The Jacksons) call us to let us know that they were coming down for the weekend, mainly to see MI3. I wasn't planning on seeing this movie and we were going to be with Becky's parents working on their cabin by Strawberry Resevoir. We managed to change our schedule to make sure that we were home by 6:00 p.m. on Saturday so that we could attend the 7:45 p.m. show.

For those that know my history regarding seeing popular movies on opening weekend know that I plan to get there early so I can get a decent seat. I refuse to sit anywhere near the front row. In fact my favorite seats are 3/4 of the way up, right in the center. Therefore I planned to be at the theater by 7:00 p.m. to ensure that we would get a decent seat.

Kevin and I went to go save seats while Becky and Bonnie went and got the babysitter. We got there at seven and went to line up before entering the theater. We were about the 10th people in line. I was a bit surprised that there wasn't a longer line, but I wasn't going to complain. We were let into the theater and we ended up 3/4 of the way up, but off to the left. Becky and Bonnie showed up soon after and we were ready to go. It turns out that our theater didn't even sell out. It was about 3/4 full. I admit that I was surprised by the turnout. I'm beginning to wonder if Tom Cruise's bizarre personal life is going to start affecting his box office returns.

We've been to a lot of movies with the Jacksons, so much so that I got their routine down. Kevin always gets loaded down at the movie theater concession stand. We paid for the movie (we had some free passes) so Kevin said he would spring for the treats. Kevin says he needs both salty and sweet whenever he goes to a movie. He always gets a big tub of popcorn, a large soda, and a couple boxes of candy (Raisinets & Peanut M&M's). Becky and I shared a popcorn and a large drink. $27.50 later, Kevin was filling out paperwork for a second mortgage to pay for our treats.

OK, four paragraphs in and we haven't even talked about the movie yet. The one reason I was a little intrigued to see this movie is that is was directed by J.J. Abrams. He is the guy that created the TV shows Lost and Alias. Becky and I watched the first two seasons of Alias on DVD and we kind of liked it. We TIVO Lost every week and have been faithful watchers. Both shows are pretty good with lots of plot twists and well written characters. I was hoping that this would translate onto the big screen.

I liked Mission Impossible I, but it wasn't until about the third viewing before I could really appreciate it. In fact the first time I watched it, I wasn't too impressed. Once I could follow the plot a little better it turned out to be a pretty cool movie.

Mission Impossible II was better that the first one, in my opinion. I think a lot of critics didn't like the second one, but John Woo directed it and I like his movies. I liked the action sequences and the whole slow motion and doves flying type stuff that Woo is known for. I even bought into the fact that Tom Cruise could kick somebody's butt.

This leads us to the MI3. I must be getting too old. I used to get pretty pumped for a movie like this. Between 24 and other spy movies I've seen, nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to high-tech gadgets, guys getting out of impossible situations, etc. I think this genre needs something fresh. I walked out of the theater with a mere "meh". The sound was turned up loud in the theater to the point of distraction. The action sequences were sometimes hard to follow with all the quick edits. The story line was pretty "run of the mill" and the ending left me a little disappointed.

Philip Seymour Hoffman was good as the villain, but had way too little screen time. I'm getting tired of Tom Cruise and the saga which is his personal life. The dude is getting a little too weird I think. By the way, has anyone ever looked into Scientology. I hear all these things about it, but I also hear weird things about the Mormons so I find it hard to find out what they really believe. So if you are looking for a lot of action this is your movie. If you're looking for anything else you're not going to find it. Overall I would give it a 5 out of 10.

Stayed tuned for future movie reviews. As you can tell from this review you'll have to read through a lot of garbage to find the actual review. I'm guessing the next movie I will be seeing is The DaVinci Code. Stay tuned!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't like MI2. I thought it was very predictable. I'll probably see te 3rd one because Trav really wants to see it.

I've looked on the scientologists website and read up a little bit. It seems really weird. They say that their beliefs are things that are true, they don't have to be proven. Essentially it takes out the very important principle of faith. Check it out.

Monday, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The movie for me was way too loud. I had to plug my ears the whole time and I wondered if I would be damaging the baby's ears in the womb. It was also too fast. I couldn't tell who was good or bad or what was even going on. It was constant fighting and shooting and just not my type of movie. The story line was far from anything different or exciting for me. I would have rather stayed home and playes games with the Jacksons.

Monday, May 08, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phew, thanks for saving us a few bucks--sounds like we need to wait and rent.

Monday, May 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home