New Feature and a Movie Review
I've added a counter to the Scogg thanks to bro-in-law Rob. He hooked me up. It's been a week since the last post. So what do you want? Good, thoughtful posts every once in a while or thoughtless rambling posts on a more regularbasis. Don't worry I will compromise. You'll get thoughtless ramblings every once in a while.
It's been a pretty crazy with the NBA Playoffs, Survivor finale, American Idol and Lost wrapping up, and so on and so forth. So basically TV was taking precedence over the blog. But don't worry once American Idol and Lost finish next week I'll have some comments on both of those shows. Only on the Scogg.
Here are two movies that will not be reviewed anytime soon the this website: King Kong and the new Pride and Prejudice. Why? Well I rented them last week and they sat around the house for a week and then I took them back and now I have late fees. My pride will not let me rent them again for awhile.
All the President's Men was on PBS the other day so I TIVO'd it. It wasn't a "Becky kind-of-show" so I would watch 30 minutes here and there until I finished it. The original is rated R for language and of course the PBS version was edited, but I bring this up because I remember watching this movie in Mrs. Wicks government class seemingly unedited. It seems I can recall the F-bomb being dropped in the movie, but being that this was Gillette, Wyoming and this was the type of language used at the dinner table (If you don't believe then attend a BYU-Wyoming football game someday. You'll here worse from the grandma next to you.) then nobody got too upset about it.
But I digress. A quick synopsis: Watergate Hotel gets broken into. Two Washington Post reporters pursue the story and find out high ranking public officials are involved. They find out that it goes all the way to Pres. Nixon. Pres. Nixon resigns the presidency. This is my type of movie. It doesn't bother me that he's Republican because regardless of party he was stupid.
Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman were great in this movie. Surprisingly, Jason Robards was pretty good too (Is he dead? It he still in movies? Is he on the Surreal Life now?) There are a scene that kind of cracked me up. Woodward needs a phone number for someone in Kansas City so he's at the library looking through phone books trying to find this number. For those too young to remember most libraries would carry phone books of large cities. I guess they were available in case you might want to crank call someone in Dallas or something. Anyway the information he was looking for would take a 2 second Google search nowadays.
Intriguing movie even though the ending is kind of abrupt. I love good non-fiction movies similar to this and 13 Days about the Cuban Missle Crisis. I know that sometimes Hollywood takes a few liberties but I still like the spirit of these movies. So for All the President's Men I give it a 7.5 out of 10.
It's been a pretty crazy with the NBA Playoffs, Survivor finale, American Idol and Lost wrapping up, and so on and so forth. So basically TV was taking precedence over the blog. But don't worry once American Idol and Lost finish next week I'll have some comments on both of those shows. Only on the Scogg.
Here are two movies that will not be reviewed anytime soon the this website: King Kong and the new Pride and Prejudice. Why? Well I rented them last week and they sat around the house for a week and then I took them back and now I have late fees. My pride will not let me rent them again for awhile.
All the President's Men was on PBS the other day so I TIVO'd it. It wasn't a "Becky kind-of-show" so I would watch 30 minutes here and there until I finished it. The original is rated R for language and of course the PBS version was edited, but I bring this up because I remember watching this movie in Mrs. Wicks government class seemingly unedited. It seems I can recall the F-bomb being dropped in the movie, but being that this was Gillette, Wyoming and this was the type of language used at the dinner table (If you don't believe then attend a BYU-Wyoming football game someday. You'll here worse from the grandma next to you.) then nobody got too upset about it.
But I digress. A quick synopsis: Watergate Hotel gets broken into. Two Washington Post reporters pursue the story and find out high ranking public officials are involved. They find out that it goes all the way to Pres. Nixon. Pres. Nixon resigns the presidency. This is my type of movie. It doesn't bother me that he's Republican because regardless of party he was stupid.
Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman were great in this movie. Surprisingly, Jason Robards was pretty good too (Is he dead? It he still in movies? Is he on the Surreal Life now?) There are a scene that kind of cracked me up. Woodward needs a phone number for someone in Kansas City so he's at the library looking through phone books trying to find this number. For those too young to remember most libraries would carry phone books of large cities. I guess they were available in case you might want to crank call someone in Dallas or something. Anyway the information he was looking for would take a 2 second Google search nowadays.
Intriguing movie even though the ending is kind of abrupt. I love good non-fiction movies similar to this and 13 Days about the Cuban Missle Crisis. I know that sometimes Hollywood takes a few liberties but I still like the spirit of these movies. So for All the President's Men I give it a 7.5 out of 10.

4 Comments:
Hey, here's a kind of little known fact. "All the President's Men" is acutally rated PG. The ratings board wanted to give it an R rating because of the language, but were lobbied by the movie-makers who argued the film was too important to society to be restricted by the rating. Fascinatintg, I know.
And the counter looks great.
I'm also excited to see the end of American Idol. I can't wait to read your take on it.
Cody and I TIVO'ed All the President's Men as well and watched it. I thought it was pretty good. However, it was a very abrupt ending. You had to watch the typing across the screen pretty close to catch it all.
The movie 13 days was excellent. I had never really been told the whole story (assuming the facts portrayed in the movie are correct). Kevin Costner was actually pretty good.
Speaking of movies...I just watched Saints and Solders. I watched the whole movie without realizing that Kirby was in it. He fooled me with his English accent.
Post a Comment
<< Home