Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Back in the Saddle

So six weeks later and I finally update this thing. Kind of hard to keep a captive audience with that kind of turn-out. I've got a few topics to write about so I'll split them up to try to drum up some momentum on this thing.

Stevens Reunion

Over the Fourth of July Weekend we got together at the Stevens cabin for a "family reunion". The concept is the same as a Darrington Reunion, but is run a little bit different. Whereas the Darrington's have a schedule of events that's planned out in advance so that your little sisters don't get irritated with you, the Stevens are more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants. Part of the reason behind this is the sheer number of participants. The Darrington's had 28 including 12 kids. At the Stevens we had 12 including 4 kids.

I would keep asking Becky before the reunion what was planned and she would just shrug her shoulders. I would've asked my in-laws what the schedule was, but I was afraid the answer would have been "work". So I just kept my mouth shut and played along.

To be honest the reunion was quite relaxing. There are some definite "givens" when it comes to hanging with the Stevens.

1. Games will always be played. Board games, card games, heck we even broke out Boggle at one time.

2. Babies will cry. This was a concern being that the Stevens cabin is large, but not quite 12 people large. We all had beds or blow-up mattresses, but crying kids couldn't really be hid. Unless we took them outside and locked them in the car. Fortunately I was really surprised how little of commotion we had. We were fearing the "chain reaction". One kid cries and then they all start to cry. But, the kids all acted pretty good and we even got them to bed with out much struggle. And if you think Aubree is innocent in this arena, all I can say is that the "terrible twos" are sneaking up on her really quick.

3. Weiners will be roasted. My favorite part of any camping experience is the campfire and the roasting of weinies.

4. Gas will be passed. I don't want to "out" the Stevens family, but I could see green fog sometimes in that cabin. I think next year I'll bring one of those nuclear protective suits to protect myself against any and all radioactivity.

My favorite part of every reunion I go to is just sitting around and shooting the bull. We had ample time to do that which is always fun in my book. The cabin is a great way to camp. With a full-fledged kitchen the Dr. Pepper was always cold and snacks were just a couple of steps away. It also has a great view. The Stevens really picked a choice spot. Oh, and I also read a complete book. It was about Kobe and Shaq. It was called "Madmen's Ball" or something like that. It was so memorable I can barely remember the title. So overall it was a successful reunion and a good time. Next year we'll have two more additions to the family, so buckle up!


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So glad to finally see a posting!!! Sounds like a good time the the Stevens. It sounds so relaxing and calm... oh those days are far gone for our family.

Friday, August 04, 2006  
Blogger TheRobRogers said...

Nice to have you back in cirrculation, Scott. And it sounds like you need to start taking Facts in Five to the Stevens' reunions.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home