Type Something You Idiot, Anything!
OK, so it's been forever since I've updated this thing. Kind of hard to keep a readership, but ultimately I have other things that are way more important than this and they aren't getting done either because I'm too lazy. But, here's some quick updates.
Boot Camp
I know I left y'all hanging by not reporting on the last two weeks of boot camp. Here's how it unfolded:
After Weeks 8 and 9 I finished at the weight of 254. Not bad but short of my goal of 250. I "re-enlisted" for another session of Boot Camp and now I'm in my eighth week of that. I also tried Weight Watchers for a couple of weeks.
My problem with Weight Watchers (sorry Steph, but you might want to skip the next paragraph. I hope you still get your commission though) is that I was always hungry. I did lose weight, but it wasn't how I wanted to lose weight. It just wasn't a diet that was going to work for me in the long term. I've gone back to my old diet. Which is really discombobulated. I change my way of thinking everyday on what I should or shouldn't eat. It drives Becky crazy.
In fact I'll probably write a book about how successful it is and sell it for millions of dollars. And then take that money and eat myself into oblivion. Followed by liposuction. Followed by self-destruction. Followed by me losing it all in Vegas. I wouldn't do well with a lot of money. But that's a whole different discussion. I digress.
So the good news is that I'm currently at 250. As of this morning. And yesterday and the day before and the day before that. I've been at 250 for four straight days. I'm contemplating cutting off a hand to get me to 249. It better be my fat hand.
BYU Football
Someday (and don't count on it for another few years) I'll write a post on John Beck's Legacy. I've been more into BYU football in the last 6 years than at any other time so I have a ton of thoughts about this. But it must be said that this year has been great.
The win over Utah was one of the all-time great games. I think the last time that BYU won on a touchdown (not field goal) on the last play of the game was the 1980 Miracle Bowl. It really put a nice cap on the season.
Confession time. I've concluded that after family and church that BYU sports is my passion. Big shocker, right? Some might even say that I put it ahead of the other two things listed above. But we won't allow Becky to comment. However, I love it!
So here is the confession: I get a little misty-eyed when the BYU Football team runs out onto the field for the game. I don't know why, but it brings me joy. Deep down in my heart. Go ahead and laugh. If I didn't want scrutiny then I never would have brought it up in the first place. I'm a simple man with simple needs.
Movies
I can't remember the last good movie I saw. I mean a good movie that brought out some sort of emotion (laughter, sadness, happiness, suspense, etc.) I hesitate to bring it up in this forum, but God's Army II: States of Grace was probably the last movie I saw where I was still thinking about it the next couple of days.
!!WARNING!! This movie is not for everyone. In fact I wouldn't recommend for people to see it. For an LDS themed movie it is very, very dark. I usually don't like dark movies, but it uses the darkness to make its point at the end of the movie. You don't leave the theater with the greatest feeling which is actually a red flag. But I sure like the raw emotion it brought to the table. Like I said, I thought about this movie for the next few days after viewing it. It is really rare for a movie to have an impact on me like that. FYI, Becky hated it. I don't mean dislike, but hate. It's tough to find a movie that we both like.
On the lighter side, I've watched Pooh's Heffelump Movie about 10 times now. This is Aubree's favorite movie. Here's some quick thoughts: Roo is a stud. Rabbit's a know-it-all. Pooh's a wuss. Piglet's a bigger wuss. Eeyore has self-esteem issues and Kanga is an A+ Mom. And Lumpy the Heffelump is OK for a Brit. Check it out. The movie ain't bad.
TV
I've mentioned before how the DVR has changed my life and saved my marriage. It's been wonderful to be able to watch a few shows and not have to schedule my life around it. I've given up on Survivor and don't miss it. I've also tried to drop other stuff to "free" up my time.
Here's what I generally catch:
Lost- When it's not on hiatus. Never has a TV show been so thrilling, yet so confusing. It just never seems to give you enough answers. And because of the length of time between episodes it's so dang hard to remember certain characters and elements of the show that are needed to put the puzzle together.
It's like a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle that you get about 5 pieces at a time. And then they change it to a 1500 piece puzzle once you start getting enough pieces to start figuring out the puzzle. It's just too much. But, alas, I keep watching because I want to know the end-all. I just don't know if it will ever get there.
The Office- Funny show, but again is not for everyone. At times the humor gets borderline offensive, but it's the subtleties of the show that make it great. Steve Carrell is great. And so is Rainn Wilson. The actor who plays Jim is underrated. He does a great job too. They've added a couple new characters this year with potential (Andy). It has some true "laugh-out-loud" moments which is rare for me.
Heroes- This was the one show that I wanted to give a chance this year. It works for me and I'm not even a comic book guy (like my younger, nerdy brothers). It's a little tighter than Lost on its plot, but has enough questions out there that it keeps your interest. It's been a pleasant surprise.
24- Hasn't started yet for this season, but this show will go down as one of the all-time classics. Quite simply the most intense hour of television out there. It can be violent at times, but even Becky likes this show (gasp!). Keep in mind that you have to hold reality and time/space issues at arm's length, but if you buy into it, it won't disappoint you. I hesitate to recommend renting Season 1 on DVD. It is addicting and you'll have to keep watching.
Random Stuff
Is there anything better for a quick treat than a frozen Gogurt? Pure heaven.
What would you do if you had $10 million dollars? This is probably worthy of it's own post, but would you give a lot of money to family? Would you feel guilty if it ruined their lives? I'm positive that it would do more harm to family relationships than help it. Why is money so powerful? Why do people do the dumbest things for money? Can money bring any kind of happiness? I think it can in some instances. I'm not so sure that having a lot of money is a good thing. I think about this quite often. I'm glad that I probably won't ever have to worry about the consequences of vast amounts of cash. The simple life is good. Real good.
Does anybody remember what TINSTAAFL is? I can still remember Mr. Gaskin in Economics talking about it my senior year. You can post your answers below.
Boot Camp
I know I left y'all hanging by not reporting on the last two weeks of boot camp. Here's how it unfolded:
After Weeks 8 and 9 I finished at the weight of 254. Not bad but short of my goal of 250. I "re-enlisted" for another session of Boot Camp and now I'm in my eighth week of that. I also tried Weight Watchers for a couple of weeks.
My problem with Weight Watchers (sorry Steph, but you might want to skip the next paragraph. I hope you still get your commission though) is that I was always hungry. I did lose weight, but it wasn't how I wanted to lose weight. It just wasn't a diet that was going to work for me in the long term. I've gone back to my old diet. Which is really discombobulated. I change my way of thinking everyday on what I should or shouldn't eat. It drives Becky crazy.
In fact I'll probably write a book about how successful it is and sell it for millions of dollars. And then take that money and eat myself into oblivion. Followed by liposuction. Followed by self-destruction. Followed by me losing it all in Vegas. I wouldn't do well with a lot of money. But that's a whole different discussion. I digress.
So the good news is that I'm currently at 250. As of this morning. And yesterday and the day before and the day before that. I've been at 250 for four straight days. I'm contemplating cutting off a hand to get me to 249. It better be my fat hand.
BYU Football
Someday (and don't count on it for another few years) I'll write a post on John Beck's Legacy. I've been more into BYU football in the last 6 years than at any other time so I have a ton of thoughts about this. But it must be said that this year has been great.
The win over Utah was one of the all-time great games. I think the last time that BYU won on a touchdown (not field goal) on the last play of the game was the 1980 Miracle Bowl. It really put a nice cap on the season.
Confession time. I've concluded that after family and church that BYU sports is my passion. Big shocker, right? Some might even say that I put it ahead of the other two things listed above. But we won't allow Becky to comment. However, I love it!
So here is the confession: I get a little misty-eyed when the BYU Football team runs out onto the field for the game. I don't know why, but it brings me joy. Deep down in my heart. Go ahead and laugh. If I didn't want scrutiny then I never would have brought it up in the first place. I'm a simple man with simple needs.
Movies
I can't remember the last good movie I saw. I mean a good movie that brought out some sort of emotion (laughter, sadness, happiness, suspense, etc.) I hesitate to bring it up in this forum, but God's Army II: States of Grace was probably the last movie I saw where I was still thinking about it the next couple of days.
!!WARNING!! This movie is not for everyone. In fact I wouldn't recommend for people to see it. For an LDS themed movie it is very, very dark. I usually don't like dark movies, but it uses the darkness to make its point at the end of the movie. You don't leave the theater with the greatest feeling which is actually a red flag. But I sure like the raw emotion it brought to the table. Like I said, I thought about this movie for the next few days after viewing it. It is really rare for a movie to have an impact on me like that. FYI, Becky hated it. I don't mean dislike, but hate. It's tough to find a movie that we both like.
On the lighter side, I've watched Pooh's Heffelump Movie about 10 times now. This is Aubree's favorite movie. Here's some quick thoughts: Roo is a stud. Rabbit's a know-it-all. Pooh's a wuss. Piglet's a bigger wuss. Eeyore has self-esteem issues and Kanga is an A+ Mom. And Lumpy the Heffelump is OK for a Brit. Check it out. The movie ain't bad.
TV
I've mentioned before how the DVR has changed my life and saved my marriage. It's been wonderful to be able to watch a few shows and not have to schedule my life around it. I've given up on Survivor and don't miss it. I've also tried to drop other stuff to "free" up my time.
Here's what I generally catch:
Lost- When it's not on hiatus. Never has a TV show been so thrilling, yet so confusing. It just never seems to give you enough answers. And because of the length of time between episodes it's so dang hard to remember certain characters and elements of the show that are needed to put the puzzle together.
It's like a 1000 piece jigsaw puzzle that you get about 5 pieces at a time. And then they change it to a 1500 piece puzzle once you start getting enough pieces to start figuring out the puzzle. It's just too much. But, alas, I keep watching because I want to know the end-all. I just don't know if it will ever get there.
The Office- Funny show, but again is not for everyone. At times the humor gets borderline offensive, but it's the subtleties of the show that make it great. Steve Carrell is great. And so is Rainn Wilson. The actor who plays Jim is underrated. He does a great job too. They've added a couple new characters this year with potential (Andy). It has some true "laugh-out-loud" moments which is rare for me.
Heroes- This was the one show that I wanted to give a chance this year. It works for me and I'm not even a comic book guy (like my younger, nerdy brothers). It's a little tighter than Lost on its plot, but has enough questions out there that it keeps your interest. It's been a pleasant surprise.
24- Hasn't started yet for this season, but this show will go down as one of the all-time classics. Quite simply the most intense hour of television out there. It can be violent at times, but even Becky likes this show (gasp!). Keep in mind that you have to hold reality and time/space issues at arm's length, but if you buy into it, it won't disappoint you. I hesitate to recommend renting Season 1 on DVD. It is addicting and you'll have to keep watching.
Random Stuff
Is there anything better for a quick treat than a frozen Gogurt? Pure heaven.
What would you do if you had $10 million dollars? This is probably worthy of it's own post, but would you give a lot of money to family? Would you feel guilty if it ruined their lives? I'm positive that it would do more harm to family relationships than help it. Why is money so powerful? Why do people do the dumbest things for money? Can money bring any kind of happiness? I think it can in some instances. I'm not so sure that having a lot of money is a good thing. I think about this quite often. I'm glad that I probably won't ever have to worry about the consequences of vast amounts of cash. The simple life is good. Real good.
Does anybody remember what TINSTAAFL is? I can still remember Mr. Gaskin in Economics talking about it my senior year. You can post your answers below.

6 Comments:
Nice post scotty...like the office, it had some truly laugh out loud moments (Pooh's a wuss). TINSTAAFL is "there is no such thing as a free lunch. And it was Mrs. what's her bucket with the blond hair and oodles of make up that taught me that.
Spence
Don't be afraid to check out Veronica Mars. Writing, acting and plot-wise, it's easilty on par with Lost and Heroes.
And, while I think John Beck is the best QB BYU's had in probably a decade, I can't give myself over to thinking he'll go down as own of BYU's greats.
This is marcus.
Tinstaafl....I say that to myself all the time. Mr. Gaskin was a crackup. I remember him ranting and raving about some cow-punk who put Ben Dover as the current Speaker of the House.
How about this...Soylent Green is made of people!!!!
I had the same teacher as spence. She was Mrs. Sicks - until Mr. Sicks caught her cheating with Mr. Chaney and shot Mr. Chaney almost in the Hoo-hoo. Anyway, I can't remember her new married name when she taught me.
I liked the posting and am glad to finally see something up. I can't believe you have turned on WW. How do you live with yourself? Did you ever snack between meals?
As for movies, the ones I would recommend are: Invincible, Stranger than Fiction, and Casino Royal. See them if you get a chance.
We also love Heroes. We missed it on Monday, not to fear, they replay it on the Sci-fi channel on Friday.
I had the same economics lady as Steph, but I can't remember her last name. She talked about TINSTAAFL all the time. She annoyed me. I got a C in the class because I never went...don't tell mom and dad.
Spence- Are you thinking of Mrs. Sharkey? I had her for History, but she might have taught Economics.
Rob- After I type up my John Beck Legacy post you'll be converted. I'm just waiting for a bowl victory before I start.
How could I forget Soylent Green. That was a Mr. Gaskin special. LOL on the Ben Dover thing. I'm sure there is a Brokeback Mountain joke in there somewhere.
Post a Comment
<< Home