Monday, August 14, 2006

Boot Camp

Boot Camp

Well, I guess I'm like overweight and stuff so I figured it's time to do something about it. I've heard of these boot camps that the local fitness club puts on so I figured I would give it a whirl. Sorry Travis, but it's not a real boot camp. This one consists of running, weights, circuit training, push-ups, sit-ups or whatever torture that the instructor comes up with. No, the instructor is not a drill sergaent. In fact she's the wife of one of South Ogden's police officers, a nice person, and nice looking. So boot camp isn't all that bad.

I signed up for the T-Th-Fr 6:00 a.m. class (each class in 1 hour) so that I can continue to play basketball in the mornings on M-W. I just finished my second week. Only six more to go.

Diet

So I figured if I'm going to work out hard then I can't waste it all by eating a crappy diet. I wanted to see what I could do for the next eight weeks. I decided to set some diet-type goals to help maximize my effort:

1. No pop

This is a fairly easy one for me. This includes no diet sodas either. I once went about 14 months without drinking pop because I wanted to quit caffeine. It wasn't too hard for me, but it was nice to get back to the Dr. In fact if it weren't for Dr. Pepper I probably wouldn't drink pop at all.

2. No sugar

I'm not a sweets freak (that's Becky) so giving up sugar isn't too bad either. However there are times when I really, really crave a doughnut (Ummmm....doughnuts) or something sweet. It usually hits about once a week and generally I can fight through it. No pop and no sugar for two months won't be bad.

3. No eating out

This is by far the toughest one. I've come to the conclusion that I have somewhat of a fast food addiction. There are times when I can barely drive past a Wendy's when I just feel like I have to stop and pick something up. It's a craving that hits me pretty hard. Not eating out is pretty much my El Guapo. I'm seriously contemplating just doing this one for August and then allowing myself to eat out on Fridays and Saturdays in September. This one affects Becky too since she's now preparing more meals than usual. I'm pretty sure she'll be on strike by September is this keeps up.

In the past two weeks it has been so tempting to just run out and grab a bite. Saturday was especially brutal. It's a day when we eat out at least twice for the day. It took all I had to open the fridge and force something down. Curse you Godfathers for building your new restaurant a mile away.

Weight

Now we get to the payoff. If I a) attend boot camp and b) keep to my eating goals then c) I should lose weight. In theory anyway. So lucky for you faithful Scogg readers you will get to follow along in the quest.

Here is the baseline:

Monday, July 31, 2006

Weight: 272 pounds*
Body Fat: 28.4%
Goal Weight (after 8 weeks): 250 pounds
Goal Weight (Long Term): 200 pounds
Total Weight Loss goal in eight weeks: 22 pounds

*Weights have been changed to protect the innocent (actually that is my real weight according to my scale which is off by a few pounds, but this was the actual weight registered on that day.)

I think this puts me somewhere in between Chris Farley and Fat Elvis. And I don't want to end up like either.

Body fat won't be tested again until the last day of Boot Camp so there won't be weekly updates.

Monday, August 7, 2006
Weight: 268 pounds
Goal Weight: 250 pounds
Total Weight Loss: 4 pounds
Total to reach goal: 18 pounds

Not bad for the first week. At least I didn't gain. And I got my @#$ kicked at Boot Camp. For most of the drills we have to team up with a partner. I partner with the 55 year old lady in class. We move at about the same speed. I must note that most people in the class are on their 2nd, 3rd, or x number of boot camps. They tend to keep up a little better.

Monday, August 14, 2006
Weight: 260 pounds
Goal Weight: 250 pounds
Total Weight Loss: 12 pounds
Total to reach goal: 10 pounds

I know what you're saying, "Scott you're losing weight too fast, it's unhealthy." Relax, this is quite normal for me. Whenever I start a diet I'll drop 10 pounds right away. I can also add 10 pounds pretty easily when I quit a diet. Oprah and I are very similar. Except for the millions of dollars. And hosting a lame talk show.

If my history holds up, I'll plateau soon and it'll drop to two pounds a week. Which should put me right on target for my goal. So lucky for you, you get to follow along on The Quest. Unlucky for you is that I'm terrible at updating my blog, so it's quite possible that it'll be December before you get another update.

(Now where did I put those celery sticks.......)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this entry. My favorite part was that Fast food is your El Guapo. "We all have an el guapo in our lives it just so happens that your el guapo is the real el guapo..."

Congratulations... our family is really getting into the weightloss mode. I'm so proud of you for taking the intiative towards the Boot Camp. I almost think that would be fun... almost.

If you get to plateauing (is that a word?) Consider Weight Watchers...IT WORKS. My weight loss is up to 23.2 lbs and I think men take off the weight a lot quicker. Think about it.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006  
Blogger Scott's Blog said...

I'm glad you got the El Guapo reference. I was a little worried no one would get it. I guess I should give my readership more credit.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Scotty! I know I've complained about having to fix dinner every night but really it is a good goal for all of us. Even though I'm not necessarily losing weight right now I now it can't hurt to eat at home instead of the "easy way out." Don't quote me on that for next month though.

I've been real impressed with Scott's motivation to get up and get exercising more again. I think I'd be too scared to do a boot camp. Hey.....by the way what is your motivation....after reading about your "instructor" I have new insight.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006  
Blogger TheRobRogers said...

You SHOULD give your readship more credit. Geez. Now diet very fat one, diet like the wind.

Actually, your post made me want to go out and buy a pop. So I think I'll go get that pop now.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Scotty, I'm super proud of you. I loved the entry. It totally cracked me up, and yes, I too got the El Guapo reference, and too laughed really hard at the Oprah comment as well.

My El Guapo is definitely snacking on sugary foods. I love to bake, and then eat my baked goods. I had a rough weight loss week. We've been in Richland all week and it's been FoodFest 2006. I worked out everyday that I was here, but I still gained 1.8 pounds at my weigh-in this morning. I'm at 186.2. Oh well.

Tuesday, August 15, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job Scott! I don't get the El Guapo thing. I assume it's from The Three Amigos but I can't remember. I'm officially starting a new weight loss program tomorrow. I've been waiting until all our summer travel was over. We just got home tonight. Bring on the carrots and celery!

Friday, August 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home