Friday, January 25, 2008

Stupid Wendys

Most of you know that I have set some goals for this year (2008 New Year's Resolutions) and one of them happens to be no eating fast food hamburgers and fries. That very night I'm watching TV and a commercial comes on touting Wendy's new Snack Attack which is a $0.99 double cheeseburger.

I can't believe that sweet Wendy would double cross me like that, but I have a slight weakness for double cheeseburgers especially ones that are under a dollar. I'm proud to say that I'm almost 1/12 through this goal and I haven't faltered yet. I think I have an addiction to fast food and sometimes it's all I can do to not pull in a drive-thru on my way home from work.

Since I can't partake of them, let's rate them. Here are the top 10:

Honorable (or dishonorable mentions)

McDonald's Big N' Tasty- Sorry sir, but I know the Whopper. The Whopper is a friend of mine and you sir, are no Whopper.

Carl's Jr. Big Hamburger- It's kind of like Carl's Jr. needed something to throw on their dollar menu that doesn't exist so they half heartedly threw out the Big Hamburger. It's OK, but they could try a little harder.

Wendy's Snack Attack Double Cheeseburger- *sniff* *sniff* You'll be gone before I ever got the chance to know you *bawling*.

I kind of think it's funny that they call a double cheeseburger a snack. "I'm having dinner in 10 minutes but if I only had a double cheeseburger to tide me over until then." Where is our society heading? And where do I get in line?

After further review I can't narrow it down to 10 so therefore you get a bonus selection.

11. McDonald's Double Cheeseburger- Not much to it. Not very impressive. But very cheap and very easy. At $0.99 it's just too easy. This burger reminds me of when I was watching the Biggest Loser one day and they were showing some video of this guy before he was on the show. The video showed him opening a McDonald's bag and pulling out 4 double cheeseburgers. All I could think was, "I think I've done that before."

10. Burger King Double Cheeseburger- Unless they are having a special it's more expensive than the McDonald's version. Maybe it's the sesame seed bun. Maybe it's the alleged flame broiled burger. Whatever it is it's better than McDonald's.

9. McDonald's Quarter Pounder- This burger has so much untapped potential. So much so that they can't even come up with a creative name. Shame on them for not trying harder. I think the Big N' Tasty was supposed to be that better burger. It has failed.

8. Wendy's Triple Stack- They should just cut to the chase and call it the Wendy's Heart Attack. The reason they can't is because of other burgers on their menu that dwarf the Triple Stack. If you haven't had one of these it is essentially a triple cheeseburger. Nice. Very nice.

7. Carl's Jr. Famous Star- I get the hankering for these every once in a while. I think I like the crisp lettuce they put on it. They also have some sort of sauce they put on it that is awfully close to ketchup, but it's not ketchup. It makes me wonder sometimes but never enough to actually look into it.

6. Wendy's Single- My junior and senior year in high school consisted of the Starving Student special at Wendy's. A Wendy's Single, medium fry, and a medium drink for $1.99. Pretty sweet deal. So it's safe to say that I've had at least 500 Wendy's Singles. It's a very solid burger. In fact this could have easily been in the top 3.

5. Wendy's Big Bacon Classic- Take a hamburger, throw on a piece or two of bacon, and voila! You have the makings of a pretty good burger. Wendy's also has the Kaiser bun for this burger. It just adds to the intrigue.

4. McDonald's Big Mac- A lot of people don't like the Big Mac, but I kinda do. Every time I eat one I wonder why I don't eat more of them. It's the grandaddy of big burgers. As a kid it just seemed so cool to have that extra piece of bun in there. Our neighbors in Rawlins managed a JB's restaurant and they were able to track down the special buns used for Big Macs. We were pumped. A top bun, meat patty, middle bun, meat patty, and a bottom bun. What a great idea.

3. Wendy's Baconator- The mother lode. Two quarter pound patties. Four pieces of cheese and six (that's right, six) pieces of bacon. The value meal comes with a defibrillator. I read an article the other day that had this on the top 10 worst foods you could eat. It made me want to go buy one right then.

2. Burger King's Whopper- I love the Whopper. It seems to have the right mix of what I like in a burger. Living in Afton with it's limited fast food options, I got to know the Whopper very well. Some of the greatest moments of my life were driving past the Burger King in Afton and reading the marquee: "Whoppers Two for $2".

1. Wendy's Double w/Cheese- How many times have I said this, "Yes, I'll have the #2 meal with no tomato, Biggie sized with a Dr. Pepper." I half expect them to say, "Pull up to the next window Scott." This is the default meal. I eat this more than the rest of the top 10 combined. I love it, love it, love it. Someday, just maybe someday, I'll be able to eat this again. Mmmmmm......Wendy's.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome Scotty. Really awesome. Though just the mention of Carl's Jr. makes me throw up in my mouth a little. I hate them. I worked at Hardees and that sealed the deal. My favorite burger is a toss up between a whopper and a McDonalds regular cheeseburger. I really craved the cheeseburgers when I was pregnant with Mia. Needless to say, everytime we pass a golden arches Brandon yells from the back seat, "fries, nuggets, and apples please."

Friday, January 25, 2008  
Blogger Marcus said...

What, no In n Out burgers as honorable mentions, or even in the top 10!? I think a double double with no onions is the best burger I have ever had. That was the highlight of living in Cali for a summer.

Friday, January 25, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My thoughts exactly, I couldn't believe In n' Out didn't make your list. Scotty, that was some good stuff. Rob and I just sat here and about cried in laughter. You could seriously sell this to some magazine...for generously sized people who eat lots and lots of hamburgers. And if no such magazine exists, I think you have found your new calling in life.

Friday, January 25, 2008  
Blogger Scott's Blog said...

I can't believe I forgot the In N' Out Double Double. I was trying to think of all the fast food places near our house to think of all the burgers I eat. Since we don't have an In N' Out it didn't even cross my mind.

The Double Double in reality is probably #1 on this list, but I eat maybe two of them a year. It's one of the reasons I love to go to Vegas now that I don't partake of other activities there.

Rumor has it that they are building one in St. George this spring. That rumor has been floating around for about 5 years, but I've read some newspaper accounts that make it sound like it could happen.

Nice catch Becky and Marcus. Someday I'll actually update the list and put it at #1 even though it probably deserves a posting on its own.

Saturday, January 26, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just really don't even know what to say.....That's my Scotty.

Monday, January 28, 2008  
Blogger Carl D. said...

Heck with in n' out, if a frachise can't go national, they only deserve honorable mention at the best. Regional "best burgers" would also need to include white castle sliders. Ordering a hamburger by the sack is the stuff of dreams. Great list.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home