Blogging the Burgers
It's Saturday night and Becky is gone to a Young Women's activity so I'm in charge of dinner. Since there is no adult supervision tonight and it's just us 3 kids at home, I've come up with an excellent idea. I'm going to eat as many McDonald's Hamburgers as I can. And you, the lucky reader will get to follow along via this blog.
Here are the ground rules:
One hour time limit
No more rules
Burger #1- 6:22 p.m.
#1 goes down fairly easy.
The question is how many can I eat in an hour. I pondered this before I went to buy the burgers. I thought that I would get 8 burgers and that would be a good goal. Then I thought I could eat 8 with no problem. I then upped it to 10. Then thought 12 was reachable. So I bought 15 just to make sure that I wouldn't run out. I felt like Becky and Ann ordering their Costco cake last year.
Total cost of this challenge: $11.85
Becky's gonna freak when she finds out about this.
Burger #2- 6:26 p.m.
#2 goes down easier than #1. I'm feeling good.
You're probably wondering what the kids are up to while I'm doing this. Well, Aubree is watching Cinderella (she declined to participate in the contest) and Sydney is sitting next to her playing with toys.
For some reason Aubree loves Cinderella. It's the first Disney DVD we've ever bought. I think by the time my kids have moved out of the house I will kick myself for not buying stock in Disney and Pixar. They're going to be taking my money anyway.
Burger #3- 6:31 p.m.
#3 down no problem.
I'm sure you're looking at the time and thinking that my strategy is faulty by wasting so much time in between burgers. Well it really is kind of hard to eat a burger and type at the same time. But we'll see how it plays out.
I watched a hamburger all-you-can-eat contest on ESPN2 the other day. The champion ate 90-something hamburgers in 12 minutes. I'm just a little off his pace.
Burger #4- 6:35 p.m.
#4 down in four bites. I'm on a roll.
I'm sure most of you have had a McDonalds Hamburger before but do you know what is really on one of these burgers. I knew without even looking. I'll reveal the condiments after Burger #5. Also whenever you order these things each one looks like somebody slapped it together, sat on it, and then chucked it in your bag. They are one flat burger.
Burger #5- 6:39 p.m.
#5 is down. I'm feeling it a little bit, but I'm 1/3 of the way there. I'm thinking double digits is a real possibility.
I'm sure your next questions is "What did you have for lunch"? That is a good question. I had leftover Japanese food at about 12:30 p.m. But I was actually hungry going into this one-man contest. Not super hungry, but I felt like I could really tackle this challenge. Thank goodness Becky wasn't home to talk me out of this. I had kidded about doing this, but I don't think she was taking me seriously.
The answer to the above trivia question:
Ketchup
Mustard
Pickles
Onions
Burger #6- 6:45 p.m.
Wow, I sure felt that one. Is it possible to have the contest flip on one burger? I might to take a little breather before the next burger.
So today is my birthday and I'm now 36 years old. What better way to celebrate than clogging your arteries to ensure you'll never see a 37th birthday. This is somewhat of an anniversay since I believe the blog is about one year old. My very first post was on April 26, 2006 and my first post of substance was about my birthday last year. You know, this is back when I actually posted on this thing.
Last year's birthday Kim and Dave were here and we went to a putting course. Then we went to Red Robin to eat. Yep that's right I had a hamburger last year too. With the emphasis on "a".
Burger #7- 6:53 p.m.
Well that was torture. Right up there with Jack Bauer questioning his latest villain on "24".
So for my birthday this morning I played golf at The Bluff in West Point. I shot an 88 which is the best I've shot in a long time. No birdies, but four or five pars. I had one legitimate birdie chance but I choked the putt. Much like I'm choking these burgers right now.
I brought along the trusy pedometer to see how many steps it takes to play 18 holes of golf. Usually it's about 50 because I take a cart, but I actually hoofed it this morning. The grand total was 13,100 steps which is roughly 6.5 miles if you really believe these pedometer things work. Anyway I've been wearing it for the past couple of weeks and today is the first day I've broken 8,000. Being a desk jockey just isn't conducive to much walking around.
Burger #8- 7:01-7:08 p.m.
The days of eating a burger in 4 bites are over. That burger took me 400 bites. I'm going to have to call the contest. Becky made a nice birthday cake and she wouldn't be too happy if I didn't eat any because of the "burger blues". Still 8 burgers is pretty good. I'm pretty proud of myself.
Aubree and Sydney did great during the contest. I was able to ignore Sydney's crying pretty well for the most part. I did go and comfort her a couple of times. The look in her eyes is what carried me through the contest, because I'm sure the look in Becky's eyes are going to be quite different. Another trivia question from the Cinderella movie.
Question: What is the cat's name in the movie?
Answer: Lucifer
If you got both trivia questions I'm quite impressed.
Here's the final stats:
8 hamburgers
2000 calories
72 grams of fat
248 grams of carbs
7 hamburgers left (For Aubree's sake I hope they heat up well)
1 fired up wife
1 scheduled angioplasty
Well probably not the wisest move on my part, but I've always wanted to try something like this. Now that it's over I can move on with my life.
Here are the ground rules:
One hour time limit
No more rules
Burger #1- 6:22 p.m.
#1 goes down fairly easy.
The question is how many can I eat in an hour. I pondered this before I went to buy the burgers. I thought that I would get 8 burgers and that would be a good goal. Then I thought I could eat 8 with no problem. I then upped it to 10. Then thought 12 was reachable. So I bought 15 just to make sure that I wouldn't run out. I felt like Becky and Ann ordering their Costco cake last year.
Total cost of this challenge: $11.85
Becky's gonna freak when she finds out about this.
Burger #2- 6:26 p.m.
#2 goes down easier than #1. I'm feeling good.
You're probably wondering what the kids are up to while I'm doing this. Well, Aubree is watching Cinderella (she declined to participate in the contest) and Sydney is sitting next to her playing with toys.
For some reason Aubree loves Cinderella. It's the first Disney DVD we've ever bought. I think by the time my kids have moved out of the house I will kick myself for not buying stock in Disney and Pixar. They're going to be taking my money anyway.
Burger #3- 6:31 p.m.
#3 down no problem.
I'm sure you're looking at the time and thinking that my strategy is faulty by wasting so much time in between burgers. Well it really is kind of hard to eat a burger and type at the same time. But we'll see how it plays out.
I watched a hamburger all-you-can-eat contest on ESPN2 the other day. The champion ate 90-something hamburgers in 12 minutes. I'm just a little off his pace.
Burger #4- 6:35 p.m.
#4 down in four bites. I'm on a roll.
I'm sure most of you have had a McDonalds Hamburger before but do you know what is really on one of these burgers. I knew without even looking. I'll reveal the condiments after Burger #5. Also whenever you order these things each one looks like somebody slapped it together, sat on it, and then chucked it in your bag. They are one flat burger.
Burger #5- 6:39 p.m.
#5 is down. I'm feeling it a little bit, but I'm 1/3 of the way there. I'm thinking double digits is a real possibility.
I'm sure your next questions is "What did you have for lunch"? That is a good question. I had leftover Japanese food at about 12:30 p.m. But I was actually hungry going into this one-man contest. Not super hungry, but I felt like I could really tackle this challenge. Thank goodness Becky wasn't home to talk me out of this. I had kidded about doing this, but I don't think she was taking me seriously.
The answer to the above trivia question:
Ketchup
Mustard
Pickles
Onions
Burger #6- 6:45 p.m.
Wow, I sure felt that one. Is it possible to have the contest flip on one burger? I might to take a little breather before the next burger.
So today is my birthday and I'm now 36 years old. What better way to celebrate than clogging your arteries to ensure you'll never see a 37th birthday. This is somewhat of an anniversay since I believe the blog is about one year old. My very first post was on April 26, 2006 and my first post of substance was about my birthday last year. You know, this is back when I actually posted on this thing.
Last year's birthday Kim and Dave were here and we went to a putting course. Then we went to Red Robin to eat. Yep that's right I had a hamburger last year too. With the emphasis on "a".
Burger #7- 6:53 p.m.
Well that was torture. Right up there with Jack Bauer questioning his latest villain on "24".
So for my birthday this morning I played golf at The Bluff in West Point. I shot an 88 which is the best I've shot in a long time. No birdies, but four or five pars. I had one legitimate birdie chance but I choked the putt. Much like I'm choking these burgers right now.
I brought along the trusy pedometer to see how many steps it takes to play 18 holes of golf. Usually it's about 50 because I take a cart, but I actually hoofed it this morning. The grand total was 13,100 steps which is roughly 6.5 miles if you really believe these pedometer things work. Anyway I've been wearing it for the past couple of weeks and today is the first day I've broken 8,000. Being a desk jockey just isn't conducive to much walking around.
Burger #8- 7:01-7:08 p.m.
The days of eating a burger in 4 bites are over. That burger took me 400 bites. I'm going to have to call the contest. Becky made a nice birthday cake and she wouldn't be too happy if I didn't eat any because of the "burger blues". Still 8 burgers is pretty good. I'm pretty proud of myself.
Aubree and Sydney did great during the contest. I was able to ignore Sydney's crying pretty well for the most part. I did go and comfort her a couple of times. The look in her eyes is what carried me through the contest, because I'm sure the look in Becky's eyes are going to be quite different. Another trivia question from the Cinderella movie.
Question: What is the cat's name in the movie?
Answer: Lucifer
If you got both trivia questions I'm quite impressed.
Here's the final stats:
8 hamburgers
2000 calories
72 grams of fat
248 grams of carbs
7 hamburgers left (For Aubree's sake I hope they heat up well)
1 fired up wife
1 scheduled angioplasty
Well probably not the wisest move on my part, but I've always wanted to try something like this. Now that it's over I can move on with my life.

9 Comments:
That's my Scotty. When Scotty said for his birthday he was going to have a contest with himself I just shook my head. It's probably good I don't leave him alone very often.
I laughed out loud at the Becky and Ann Costco cake joke and
the other thing was how a McDonald's hamburger is made....slapped together, sat upon and chucked in a bag.
Here's the kicker.....Scott just told me that the other 8 burgers are in the closet. He didn't want me to the know the results of his contest before reading his blog. There's nothing like hiding burgers in the closet.
I use to have contests with myself when I was home from school sick. Just a couple of the ones were - how many bowls of cereal could I eat. Answer - 2 1/2 and it was lucky charms my favorite. The other one was how many rice crispy treats I could eat. I ate about 1/2 a batch. Maybe this is something about the Darrington blood.
I asked Trav the "what's on a McDonald's hamburger" trivia, and he looked at me and said, "I've made hundreds of them." Oops, I forgot he use to work at McDonalds. He also got the Cinderella question right. I'm so proud of my man.
That was just awesome! I love that you hid the burgers in the closet from Becky. There's nothing like the fresh smell of McDonalds on your clothes.
You know, you and Lance Armstrong are not that far removed. You both work hard to push your limits. I'm very proud of you Scotty. You did a fine job with the Tour d' McDonalds.
Absolutely classic.
LOL! That is all I can say. I am seriously almost crying! Classic.
You might be asking, why Alisa is on you blog. I read the birth story on the family site and decided I had to read more. That was hilarious Scott, thanks for giving your blog address, I'm a follower!
I'm now a follower as well. I've read your burger account twice now and I've laughed both times. Maybe this will be my glum day pick me up, reading about the burgers.
Post a Comment
<< Home