Super Bowl Sunday
Here's a brief rundown of my Super Bowl Sunday:
7:15 a.m. Becky is urging me to get out of bed because she needs help to get the kids ready. Our church is normally at 1:00 p.m., but today is Stake Conference and it starts at 9:00 a.m. When our church started at 9:00 a.m. I was usually at a meeting in the morning so I wasn't around to help with the kids. Kind of like sitting on the stand during sacrament meeting. It must be nice to have a church responsiblity that gets you out of wrestling kids for 70 minutes.
8:45 a.m. Our goal was to leave by 8:30 a.m. to get to Stake Conference on time. We are operating on D.S.T. (Darrington Standard Time) so we're running late. How did Mom get us to church on time when we were kids? Oh wait, we were rarely on time.
8:59:59 a.m. Due to some very skillful driving on my part we are in our seats for about 1 second before the Stake President opens the meeting. I'm pretty sure it's not a sin to speed on your way to church. As soon as I ever get Book One of the General Handbook of Instruction I'll let you know the official church ruling.
10:15 a.m. Aubree has about had it at this point. Which means I've about had it. I take her to the lobby for a "time out talk". My talk is going well until she spots the water fountain. All the sudden nothing in the world is more important than getting a drink. "Dink, daddy, dink." Someone needs to work on their vocabulary.
11:00 a.m. Stake President gets us out right on time. I even think he cut his talk short because he only had about 15 minutes. I love this man.
On the way home I comment to Becky that I used to dread Stake Conference as a kid. It seemed to last forever. That, and we had to drive 100 miles just to get to the stake center. I've actually have come to appreciate it as I've gotten older. Must be a maturity thing. Plus our current Stake Presidency is excellent. I've gotten to know them a little bit through EQP interviews over the last two years and I'm really impressed.
11:30 a.m. My turn to cook lunch, so I chuck in the Papa Murphy's pizza we purchased the night before. Preplanned lunch and everything. We got the Cowboy pizza. If you've had it then you know what I'm talking about. Good stuff.
1:00 p.m. Aubree and Sydney are down for naps. I stretch out on the couch trying to decide if I want a four or five hour nap. I decide to just let nature take its course.
1:30 p.m. or so Sydney wakes up from her nap crying. I guess. I don't really know because nature is telling me to stay on the couch. Plus nature hasn't blessed me with the necessary tools to feed her. So I'm off the hook, yet again.
3:00 p.m. I awake from my nap ready to take on the world. By that I mean watch the Super Bowl. It's still an hour and a half from kickoff, but I need to get mentally prepared.
For the record: I have never watched the Super Bowl pregame show. I simply don't care. If BYU were in the Super Bowl then I would watch all 6 hours of it.
4:25 p.m. The Super Bowl kicks off. But we're not watching at this point. We're TIVOing to let it "que" up as I call it. Meaning we'll let the game start and after about an hour we'll start the game on TIVO and then catch up.
4:45 p.m. We start making the food for our family Super Bowl party. On tap: tortilla chips, Rookie Cookie bean dip, stuffed mushrooms, celery with cheese wiz, pumpkin cake, taquitos, Dr. Pepper, lemonade and fruit. Fruit???? What the ????? Becky slipped this one in without disclosing it during our pre-party planning the day before. Must be a Stevens thing.
5:00 p.m. I tell Becky that growing up we were allowed to watch two things on Sunday. (1) Wide World of Disney and (2) the Super Bowl. I have since expanded those rules in my own house. The logic is as follows: Disney owns ABC which owns ESPN. Therefore we only watch Disney-related TV at our house on Sundays. Unless it is Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Then the Disney/ABC/ESPN rule is revoked.
5:30 p.m. It's time to start the Super Bowl! Becky promptly heads into the computer room to get on the computer. Aubree follows her. Sydney stays with me. Because she is a good baby and is now my favorite daughter. So much for counting this as family home evening.
Sidenote: As I'm reading the morning Sports page Aubree looks at the picture on the front. The picture was from the Weber State basketball game the night before. She says "Daddy, ballgame, BYU". It wasn't BYU, but her heart was definately in the right place. Favorite daughter status is a tight race.
5:31 p.m. I'm debating with myself as to who to root for in this game. Chicago is the underdog and since I really don't care who wins I decide to root for Da Bears.
5:32 p.m. Chicago Bear Devin Hester returns the opening kickoff 92 yards for a touchdown. Good choice Scott. You sure do know your sports.
6:00 p.m. First couple rounds of commercials are over. The Snickers commercial was just plain wrong, but got a chuckle nonetheless. The Sierra Mist beard comeover commercial was kind of funny too. Most are totally forgettable. It's been less than 24 hours and I can barely remember any of them.
6:15 p.m. Telephone rings. The caller id says it's the Elders. They are probably looking for someplace to watch the Super Bowl.
6:16 p.m. The Elders need a member to go with them on a visit at 8:30 p.m. I drastically need the blessings so I tell them I'm available. It's a good thing BYU isn't playing in this game.
6:50 p.m. Prince performs the halftime show which takes about 2.5 minutes with TIVO. I've never been a big fan of Prince. At this point I can't even remember who is winning the game. I think it is 19-14 for the Colts. Wow, I'm becoming pretty apathetic to the whole thing. Oh yeah, and Sydney poops her pants. It's time for Becky to get off the computer.
8:00 p.m. The Super Bowl ends and the Colts win just like I predicted. It's now time to turn into clean-up mode followed by missionary mode. By the time I get home the kids will be in bed. Sweet.
9:30 p.m. I return home and Becky is finishing feeding Sydney before she goes down. I have another three pieces of pumpkin cake and secretly wonder why my pants aren't fitting as well lately. Another successful Super Bowl Sunday.
7:15 a.m. Becky is urging me to get out of bed because she needs help to get the kids ready. Our church is normally at 1:00 p.m., but today is Stake Conference and it starts at 9:00 a.m. When our church started at 9:00 a.m. I was usually at a meeting in the morning so I wasn't around to help with the kids. Kind of like sitting on the stand during sacrament meeting. It must be nice to have a church responsiblity that gets you out of wrestling kids for 70 minutes.
8:45 a.m. Our goal was to leave by 8:30 a.m. to get to Stake Conference on time. We are operating on D.S.T. (Darrington Standard Time) so we're running late. How did Mom get us to church on time when we were kids? Oh wait, we were rarely on time.
8:59:59 a.m. Due to some very skillful driving on my part we are in our seats for about 1 second before the Stake President opens the meeting. I'm pretty sure it's not a sin to speed on your way to church. As soon as I ever get Book One of the General Handbook of Instruction I'll let you know the official church ruling.
10:15 a.m. Aubree has about had it at this point. Which means I've about had it. I take her to the lobby for a "time out talk". My talk is going well until she spots the water fountain. All the sudden nothing in the world is more important than getting a drink. "Dink, daddy, dink." Someone needs to work on their vocabulary.
11:00 a.m. Stake President gets us out right on time. I even think he cut his talk short because he only had about 15 minutes. I love this man.
On the way home I comment to Becky that I used to dread Stake Conference as a kid. It seemed to last forever. That, and we had to drive 100 miles just to get to the stake center. I've actually have come to appreciate it as I've gotten older. Must be a maturity thing. Plus our current Stake Presidency is excellent. I've gotten to know them a little bit through EQP interviews over the last two years and I'm really impressed.
11:30 a.m. My turn to cook lunch, so I chuck in the Papa Murphy's pizza we purchased the night before. Preplanned lunch and everything. We got the Cowboy pizza. If you've had it then you know what I'm talking about. Good stuff.
1:00 p.m. Aubree and Sydney are down for naps. I stretch out on the couch trying to decide if I want a four or five hour nap. I decide to just let nature take its course.
1:30 p.m. or so Sydney wakes up from her nap crying. I guess. I don't really know because nature is telling me to stay on the couch. Plus nature hasn't blessed me with the necessary tools to feed her. So I'm off the hook, yet again.
3:00 p.m. I awake from my nap ready to take on the world. By that I mean watch the Super Bowl. It's still an hour and a half from kickoff, but I need to get mentally prepared.
For the record: I have never watched the Super Bowl pregame show. I simply don't care. If BYU were in the Super Bowl then I would watch all 6 hours of it.
4:25 p.m. The Super Bowl kicks off. But we're not watching at this point. We're TIVOing to let it "que" up as I call it. Meaning we'll let the game start and after about an hour we'll start the game on TIVO and then catch up.
4:45 p.m. We start making the food for our family Super Bowl party. On tap: tortilla chips, Rookie Cookie bean dip, stuffed mushrooms, celery with cheese wiz, pumpkin cake, taquitos, Dr. Pepper, lemonade and fruit. Fruit???? What the ????? Becky slipped this one in without disclosing it during our pre-party planning the day before. Must be a Stevens thing.
5:00 p.m. I tell Becky that growing up we were allowed to watch two things on Sunday. (1) Wide World of Disney and (2) the Super Bowl. I have since expanded those rules in my own house. The logic is as follows: Disney owns ABC which owns ESPN. Therefore we only watch Disney-related TV at our house on Sundays. Unless it is Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Then the Disney/ABC/ESPN rule is revoked.
5:30 p.m. It's time to start the Super Bowl! Becky promptly heads into the computer room to get on the computer. Aubree follows her. Sydney stays with me. Because she is a good baby and is now my favorite daughter. So much for counting this as family home evening.
Sidenote: As I'm reading the morning Sports page Aubree looks at the picture on the front. The picture was from the Weber State basketball game the night before. She says "Daddy, ballgame, BYU". It wasn't BYU, but her heart was definately in the right place. Favorite daughter status is a tight race.
5:31 p.m. I'm debating with myself as to who to root for in this game. Chicago is the underdog and since I really don't care who wins I decide to root for Da Bears.
5:32 p.m. Chicago Bear Devin Hester returns the opening kickoff 92 yards for a touchdown. Good choice Scott. You sure do know your sports.
6:00 p.m. First couple rounds of commercials are over. The Snickers commercial was just plain wrong, but got a chuckle nonetheless. The Sierra Mist beard comeover commercial was kind of funny too. Most are totally forgettable. It's been less than 24 hours and I can barely remember any of them.
6:15 p.m. Telephone rings. The caller id says it's the Elders. They are probably looking for someplace to watch the Super Bowl.
6:16 p.m. The Elders need a member to go with them on a visit at 8:30 p.m. I drastically need the blessings so I tell them I'm available. It's a good thing BYU isn't playing in this game.
6:50 p.m. Prince performs the halftime show which takes about 2.5 minutes with TIVO. I've never been a big fan of Prince. At this point I can't even remember who is winning the game. I think it is 19-14 for the Colts. Wow, I'm becoming pretty apathetic to the whole thing. Oh yeah, and Sydney poops her pants. It's time for Becky to get off the computer.
8:00 p.m. The Super Bowl ends and the Colts win just like I predicted. It's now time to turn into clean-up mode followed by missionary mode. By the time I get home the kids will be in bed. Sweet.
9:30 p.m. I return home and Becky is finishing feeding Sydney before she goes down. I have another three pieces of pumpkin cake and secretly wonder why my pants aren't fitting as well lately. Another successful Super Bowl Sunday.

2 Comments:
Man, that kills. I don't know if it's because I know you or if it's because you're genuinely funny, but regardless, I laughed. Pretty hard.
Alright, I've thought about it and I think it's because you're genuinely funny. Good show, sir, good show.
So you really do realize I do all the work around here.....and I thought you were clueless. Now I know it's just an acting job.
Post a Comment
<< Home