Aubree Girl
Here's a post about some of the little things I've noticed about my daughter. I know that people get bored from anecdotes of other's kids, but this is my blog and if I don't write these things down they will be lost forever.
About a month ago we (when I say "we" I mean "me" since I was the one who did all the work) transitioned Aubree into her "big girl bed". Aubree watched as I lifted the mattress out of her crib and put it in the other room. Then after two days she figured out that the crib wasn't an option anymore.
For awhile it seems she didn't realize that she could climb out of bed. Once she was in bed she was there to stay. Finally one night she woke up and found her way into our room. I didn't want to fight putting her back to bed so I just popped her in between Becky and I. Over the past couple of weeks she has continued to show up in the middle of the night in our room. She has been sick lately so we acquiesed.
So this morning she shows up at about 6:00 a.m. She comes over to my side of the bed and I get out and tell her, "you need to go back to your own bed" thinking in my mind that she probably doesn't understand very well. I wait for her to start crying and throw a fit. Instead she turns around and starts walking out of our room. I follow her all the way to her bedroom. She's whimpering like a whipped puppy. We get to her room and I lift her into bed. She whimpers some more but pulls the covers over her head and goes right back to sleep. I keep thinking that all I had to do was tell her to go back to bed. At times she actually does what I say. It makes me feel powerful. Now if only Becky would do what I say.
A while ago Aubree learned how to say "good" when asked how she was doing. It goes something like this. Me: "Aubree, how are you feeling today?" Aubree: (without looking up from her toys) "Good." However she gets mixed up when I ask a different question. Me: "Aubree, what are you doing over there?" Aubree: (without looking up from her toys) "Good."
We just got a gift of church pictures this Christmas. So for FHE someone suggested that we take out a picture and tell the story from the picture and then hang it on our fridge for the week. On Monday we decided to start with the Book of Mormon. So I pull out the first picture of an elderly Lehi with a long white beard preaching repentance to the people in Jerusalem. (Each picture has a little synopsis on the back explaining the picture.) As I finished the story I pointed to Lehi and said, "Aubree, who is this?" Aubree (excited that she recognizes someone in the picture and with a big smile on her face) replies "Santa Clause".
Christmas Cards
We finally wrote our first Christmas letter this year. (When I say "we" I mean "Becky" since she did all the work). It was fun to get a lot of Christmas letter replies to see what old friends were up to. One of the letters we got was a bit puzzling.
Becky looks at the return address of one of the letters and replies "Who is Jared and Holly Weston?" The name kind of sounds familiar and I'm trying to think how I know Jared Weston. I couldn't place him. I just figured it was one of Becky's old friends from Morgan that she never keeps in touch with. Becky reads through the letter which mentions that he's a Bishop and what-not. Still not ringing a bell.
She flips over the letter and it has a hand-written note on it. She notices that it is signed by Holly Weston. The former Holly Hansen. Becky then tears up the letter in a jealous fit of rage and stomps off crying to the bedroom in tears. OK, so the last sentence was false, but it would have made for a better story. Sidenote: If you don't know who Holly Hansen is then you need to read the previous post in this blog.
So it seems that old girlfriends still have the hots for me. I guess she looked up my address in the phone book. Maybe we need to have them over for dinner one day so Becky and her can duke it out mano-y-mano. Thinking of this makes me wonder, "Hmmmm...what is Brian Ball doing these days?" If you don't know who Brian Ball is then you can ask Becky the next time you see her about her past ex-fiance'. (I'm actually surprised we don't see a Christmas letter from him each year).
About a month ago we (when I say "we" I mean "me" since I was the one who did all the work) transitioned Aubree into her "big girl bed". Aubree watched as I lifted the mattress out of her crib and put it in the other room. Then after two days she figured out that the crib wasn't an option anymore.
For awhile it seems she didn't realize that she could climb out of bed. Once she was in bed she was there to stay. Finally one night she woke up and found her way into our room. I didn't want to fight putting her back to bed so I just popped her in between Becky and I. Over the past couple of weeks she has continued to show up in the middle of the night in our room. She has been sick lately so we acquiesed.
So this morning she shows up at about 6:00 a.m. She comes over to my side of the bed and I get out and tell her, "you need to go back to your own bed" thinking in my mind that she probably doesn't understand very well. I wait for her to start crying and throw a fit. Instead she turns around and starts walking out of our room. I follow her all the way to her bedroom. She's whimpering like a whipped puppy. We get to her room and I lift her into bed. She whimpers some more but pulls the covers over her head and goes right back to sleep. I keep thinking that all I had to do was tell her to go back to bed. At times she actually does what I say. It makes me feel powerful. Now if only Becky would do what I say.
A while ago Aubree learned how to say "good" when asked how she was doing. It goes something like this. Me: "Aubree, how are you feeling today?" Aubree: (without looking up from her toys) "Good." However she gets mixed up when I ask a different question. Me: "Aubree, what are you doing over there?" Aubree: (without looking up from her toys) "Good."
We just got a gift of church pictures this Christmas. So for FHE someone suggested that we take out a picture and tell the story from the picture and then hang it on our fridge for the week. On Monday we decided to start with the Book of Mormon. So I pull out the first picture of an elderly Lehi with a long white beard preaching repentance to the people in Jerusalem. (Each picture has a little synopsis on the back explaining the picture.) As I finished the story I pointed to Lehi and said, "Aubree, who is this?" Aubree (excited that she recognizes someone in the picture and with a big smile on her face) replies "Santa Clause".
Christmas Cards
We finally wrote our first Christmas letter this year. (When I say "we" I mean "Becky" since she did all the work). It was fun to get a lot of Christmas letter replies to see what old friends were up to. One of the letters we got was a bit puzzling.
Becky looks at the return address of one of the letters and replies "Who is Jared and Holly Weston?" The name kind of sounds familiar and I'm trying to think how I know Jared Weston. I couldn't place him. I just figured it was one of Becky's old friends from Morgan that she never keeps in touch with. Becky reads through the letter which mentions that he's a Bishop and what-not. Still not ringing a bell.
She flips over the letter and it has a hand-written note on it. She notices that it is signed by Holly Weston. The former Holly Hansen. Becky then tears up the letter in a jealous fit of rage and stomps off crying to the bedroom in tears. OK, so the last sentence was false, but it would have made for a better story. Sidenote: If you don't know who Holly Hansen is then you need to read the previous post in this blog.
So it seems that old girlfriends still have the hots for me. I guess she looked up my address in the phone book. Maybe we need to have them over for dinner one day so Becky and her can duke it out mano-y-mano. Thinking of this makes me wonder, "Hmmmm...what is Brian Ball doing these days?" If you don't know who Brian Ball is then you can ask Becky the next time you see her about her past ex-fiance'. (I'm actually surprised we don't see a Christmas letter from him each year).

3 Comments:
I always have a little tear form in my eye when Lauren does what I ask her to do. It makes me so happy. I like all the aubree stories, its fun to hear them since you don't post stuff like that on the family website.
Well, it's nice to know some children some where are doing what their parents ask every so often. It keeps me hoping for the future.
And I'm glad Holly sent along a Christmas card. Clearly, she's got the hots for you. Still.
I'm going to print off your little stories and put them in Aubree's baby book since I always forget to write things down like that.....I think I'll leave off the last couple of paragraphs though!
BTW, Holly had her chance and she blew it so you better remember that as you're getting all weak in the knees Scotty! ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home