Random Musings
Rubiks Cube
My sister-in-law Ann got into the Rubiks Cube thing lately and some of it has rubbed off on Becky and I. I can remember getting two Rubiks Cubes one Christmas when they were a hot item. I remember being particularly proud that I could solve one side of the cube and sometimes get close to solving two sides. That was about all my brain could handle.
Ann bought a cube with instructions on how to solve it. If you think that just because you have the instructions in front of you that it will be a piece of cake then you're in for a lesson or two. With instructions in hand I still couldn't figure it out. I needed coaching. Ann graciously stepped in and coached us through the instructions. Becky was the first one to get the coaching and the first one to solve the cube. A fact that she reminds me about every 20 seconds or so. She's actually gotten quite cocky about it.
I, the family genius, still struggled a bit so Becky had to coach me through the last couple of steps. Becky beamed with lots of pride as she helped me solve it. Since then I've solved it a few times with Becky not around so 1) she can't talk trash about how much better at Rubik's Cube she is than me and 2) I can prove to myself that I can survive without the presence of my wife (and not just with the Rubik's Cube).
Just another thought on Ann. Most of you probably don't know that her name is really Andrea. Since her parents don't even call her Ann (I think her nickname is Stinky Poo-Poo or something like that. Don't ask.) I was wondering if we're shortening Andrea then why don't we spell it An. Much easier to spell and much more accurate.
Gas Prices
Filled up the Bonneville today. $53. and something cents. Just a few thoughts on that. #$%^#@#%^@%^#$&@%^$%&@#^@#^@$%@%">&#$%^#@#%^@%^#$&@%^$%&@#^@#^@$%@%^&
Thanks for listening.
Lost
I've recently cut back on the TV consumption. One show that has made the cut is Lost. I've got almost 4 years invested into this show, so at this point there is no turning back. I like the show for a lot of reasons two of them being the fact that it has great characters and is well written.
One of the characters, Sawyer, has to be one of the best anti-heroes of all-time. If you've seen the show you know what I mean. If you haven't then it would take a lot of time to go into the intricacies of the character and show, so you'll just have to trust me.
One recommendation for the future if you haven't seen the series. When the series is over and it's on DVD you'll need to rent them and watch them. This would be a great series to watch if you didn't have to wait a week for every episode let alone 7 months in between seasons. It could be a great FHE activity for about a year.
American Idol
One thing I like about AI is that I can sit a be a music critic even though I can't sing a lick. I'll say things like "they were pitchy" or "they are a horrible singer" or "Paula's drunk again" and not even think twice about the fact that if I were on the show that I would be one of the "he's so bad we have to put him on TV" performers. However I'm 1,000 times more sane (and sober) than Paula Abdul.
I didn't blog the finale which wasn't in great demand anyway. David Cook deserved to win and David Archuleta has a great career ahead of him. David C. was definitely more my kind of music, but Becky downloaded one of David Archuleta's songs "You're the Voice" that I like listening to. Which is ironic since Simon ripped his performance that week. Which leads me to....
Embarrassing Confession
I've taken a liking to the Backstreet Boys song "Incomplete". I've pretty much got the words memorized and perform it all the time in the comfort of my own living room. Aubree joins me with some of the words since she's heard the song a bunch of times.
I also downloaded "Cha Cha Slide" so that we had a family dance to do. It's easy when the DJ tells you what moves to do. Since we're too cheap to pay for actual dance lessons for Aubree then she has to learn them from me. Next week's lesson is "Cripple Creek".
Indy Jones IV
Saw Indy Jones on opening day with some friends. It was very similar to the first three and so I liked it. I can see why some people could have hated it, but it worked for me. The one movie that I think I really want to see this summer is Batman: The Dark Knight. I really liked Batman Begins and Heath Ledger looks pretty freaky as the Joker as he will soon collect his posthumous Oscar next year. I'll also see Ironman and probably Hancock. Hopefully they don't go overboard. I've been getting a little prudish in my old age.
Finally
Becky has created a blog just like everyone else in the world has. Hers is actually funny and interesting. It's replacing the Darrington Happenings newsletter.

8 Comments:
A few comments:
I had no idea that Ann's name was Andrea.
We saw Indy iV as well and we weren't that impressed. Trav was actually thinking about writing up a warning for the family website.
Thanks for the plug on Becky's blog. Kim told me she had one and I was wondering about the address.
oh, today Lauren was looking at the family picture that was taken at my homecoming from my mission (just the siblings). Lauren looked at the picture of you and said, "He's missing something." I said, "What is he missing?" Her reply was, "Becky!"
There were so many little tid bits I don't know where to start....
The rubik's cube....I really am quite a bit better at it than Scotty. I caught on quicker and am still faster at it.
American Idol...Scott asked me to download the David A.'s song for HIM. I also downloaded a couple of Brooke White's songs and we are going to the concert in SL.
Haven't seen Indiana Jones.
Yes, I have started a blog but I haven't shared it with too many people yet. You are welcome to check it out though.
I love you Scotty.
Good stuff, Scotty. We loved Iron Man. I think you'll enjoy the ride with that one. I really felt like Indiana Jones was a waste. I went in with low expectations and was still disappointed.
So it sounds like you need Rob to make you a new mixed tape. I'm just a little concerned about you liking all this woman music.
I'm pumped about Becky's blog. Especially if it's full of stories about Aubree's gum tasting like heavenly beings.
Strange. Rubiks cubes are popular with a couple of my young men. I don't understand the appeal.
One more thing--I filled up my bonneville for $62 the other day. Could be worse. You could live in California where gas is $4.19/gallon.
Scott- So I feel a bit like an "intruder" posting in here, but I just have to say you are so stinking funny. I happened upon this uplifting site while snooping around Becky's blog and I am a little sad we didn't get to know you better. I had no idea there was this hilarious thing inside you! You and Becky are great writers- you both have a way of putting things that clicks with me. We'll have you over sometime- We miss our neighbors! Love, Sarah
Melinda Doolittle the talented vocalist with a heart of gold. The album’s first single, “It’s Your Love,” was released to radio stations nationwide in September. Keep you update about Melinda Career www.melindasbackups.com
Melinda Doolittle the talented vocalist with a heart of gold. The album’s first single, “It’s Your Love,” was released to radio stations nationwide in September. Keep you update about Melinda Career www.melindasbackups.com
Post a Comment
<< Home