Church Ball Update
Well it's time to wrap up the Church Ball season as the Pleasant Valley 6th Ward finished undefeated at 7-0 in stake play. Our last game was our closest game with us coming away with a four point victory. But more importantly was the rivalry match-up between me and a player on the other team. Here's the background:
When Becky and I moved into our house it wasn't long before a water softener salesman-type shows up at our door offering a free 30-day trial of a water softener. Sure enough we say "yes" and they install a water softener in our basement.
A month later we get a visit from the salesman (Let's call him "Dave") to discuss the various types of options for our new home. Dave doesn't live far from us and he is quick to point that out. He also brings the church into by talking about the different wards and that we live in the same stake. I believe he said that we were practically "neighbors".
After some get-to-know-you chit chat he finds out that I work for the city as the city manager. He proceeds to tell us that he was the City Manager of Ogden at one time. This strikes me as a bit odd in the fact that he's about my same age and Ogden hadn't had a city manager in at least 10 years. It's not surprising as a lot of people don't really know what a city manager is or what they do. However I'm still puzzled as to why he thought he was a city manager. It is good to know that if I'm ever fired that I can transition right into a water softener salesman.
Dave gives us all the options for our new water softener ranging from $2,500 down to $1,000. Of course he's trying to sell us on the $2,500 model which we're not interested in. Fortunately for us, Becky had researched a couple of cheap water softeners at Sam's Club so we know we can get one for about $500. I tell the guy that for $500 we'll keep the water softener that is already installed. He doesn't like it, but after we say that it's the $500 deal or nothing then he capitulates. His final words were "I'll give you this deal, but don't tell any of your neighbors. They didn't get as good of a deal." That statement is comical in and of itself and the follow up story of Becky spilling the beans to our neighbors who bought the $2,500 model is comical as well. That'll be a story for another day.
That's way too much background for the lame story that is soon to follow, but you need to know the history of Dave. So over the last few years of playing church basketball I see Dave every year. He's a die hard church ball guy and not a bad player. I recognize him, but I have no idea if he recognizes me. In fact I'm not so sure that he sells water softeners anymore. But I always feel a need to make sure we take care of business when we play his team.
This year it was our final game when we play Dave's team. The game is fairly close and in the third quarter I find that they are playing man-to-man and Dave is guarding me. So far in the game I haven't done jack squat. So I figure it's time to make my move.
I'm dribbling the ball down the court and our team spreads out around the perimeter. Dave is guarding me a little close as I near the three-point line. I give Dave a little shimmy move mixed with a cross-over dribble that leaves him standing still. Meanwhile as I blow past him I can here my teammates in the background saying "Oooooohhhh" just like street ball in New York. I go in for the easy lay-up and turn around in time to see Dave looking for his jock strap.
Needless to say we won the game to finish our perfect regular season. We finished 7-0 with one of our victories a forfeit by the other team. Here were my stats:
Field Goals: 2/5
3 Pt. Field Goals: 0/3
Points: 4
The season totals (6 games played):
Points: 57
Points per game: 9.5
Field Goals: 22/52
Field Goal %: 42.3%
3 Pointers: 7/28
3 Point %: 25%
Free Throws: 6/7
Free Throw %: 85.7%
Overall the stats are pretty pathetic, but typical for church ball. It supports the theory that I'm not as good as I think I am.
Regional Play: We qualified and got a first round bye for the tournament. It was a single elimination tournament so it was do or die. Our first game we had four guys at game time. Region rules say you need five guys to start. We had two on the way, but they got a speeding ticket. As soon as it was game time they forfeited us. No grace period. Nothing. Two minutes later our two other guys walked in the door. We were extended no mercy as they upheld the forfeit. Even the other team was begging to let us play. Therefore the wonderful season was ended on a not-so-glorious note.
When Becky and I moved into our house it wasn't long before a water softener salesman-type shows up at our door offering a free 30-day trial of a water softener. Sure enough we say "yes" and they install a water softener in our basement.
A month later we get a visit from the salesman (Let's call him "Dave") to discuss the various types of options for our new home. Dave doesn't live far from us and he is quick to point that out. He also brings the church into by talking about the different wards and that we live in the same stake. I believe he said that we were practically "neighbors".
After some get-to-know-you chit chat he finds out that I work for the city as the city manager. He proceeds to tell us that he was the City Manager of Ogden at one time. This strikes me as a bit odd in the fact that he's about my same age and Ogden hadn't had a city manager in at least 10 years. It's not surprising as a lot of people don't really know what a city manager is or what they do. However I'm still puzzled as to why he thought he was a city manager. It is good to know that if I'm ever fired that I can transition right into a water softener salesman.
Dave gives us all the options for our new water softener ranging from $2,500 down to $1,000. Of course he's trying to sell us on the $2,500 model which we're not interested in. Fortunately for us, Becky had researched a couple of cheap water softeners at Sam's Club so we know we can get one for about $500. I tell the guy that for $500 we'll keep the water softener that is already installed. He doesn't like it, but after we say that it's the $500 deal or nothing then he capitulates. His final words were "I'll give you this deal, but don't tell any of your neighbors. They didn't get as good of a deal." That statement is comical in and of itself and the follow up story of Becky spilling the beans to our neighbors who bought the $2,500 model is comical as well. That'll be a story for another day.
That's way too much background for the lame story that is soon to follow, but you need to know the history of Dave. So over the last few years of playing church basketball I see Dave every year. He's a die hard church ball guy and not a bad player. I recognize him, but I have no idea if he recognizes me. In fact I'm not so sure that he sells water softeners anymore. But I always feel a need to make sure we take care of business when we play his team.
This year it was our final game when we play Dave's team. The game is fairly close and in the third quarter I find that they are playing man-to-man and Dave is guarding me. So far in the game I haven't done jack squat. So I figure it's time to make my move.
I'm dribbling the ball down the court and our team spreads out around the perimeter. Dave is guarding me a little close as I near the three-point line. I give Dave a little shimmy move mixed with a cross-over dribble that leaves him standing still. Meanwhile as I blow past him I can here my teammates in the background saying "Oooooohhhh" just like street ball in New York. I go in for the easy lay-up and turn around in time to see Dave looking for his jock strap.
Needless to say we won the game to finish our perfect regular season. We finished 7-0 with one of our victories a forfeit by the other team. Here were my stats:
Field Goals: 2/5
3 Pt. Field Goals: 0/3
Points: 4
The season totals (6 games played):
Points: 57
Points per game: 9.5
Field Goals: 22/52
Field Goal %: 42.3%
3 Pointers: 7/28
3 Point %: 25%
Free Throws: 6/7
Free Throw %: 85.7%
Overall the stats are pretty pathetic, but typical for church ball. It supports the theory that I'm not as good as I think I am.
Regional Play: We qualified and got a first round bye for the tournament. It was a single elimination tournament so it was do or die. Our first game we had four guys at game time. Region rules say you need five guys to start. We had two on the way, but they got a speeding ticket. As soon as it was game time they forfeited us. No grace period. Nothing. Two minutes later our two other guys walked in the door. We were extended no mercy as they upheld the forfeit. Even the other team was begging to let us play. Therefore the wonderful season was ended on a not-so-glorious note.

1 Comments:
Holy Cow. Didn't those guys watch the BOM movie the Mediator. Justice and Mercy, guys! Cruel. Sorry it ended on such a downer.
Post a Comment
<< Home