What Did I Just Do?
Last night, in a moment of temporary insanity, I downgraded our TV package to local stations only. What exactly does this mean? Well, I won't have ESPN for the first time in a very long time. This will be a big change for me.
I know that some of you don't have cable or you don't watch much TV so this isn't really earth shattering news. However for me, this is kind of a big deal. I'll admit that I like TV. I watch more TV than I probably should and I've actually made strides to watch better content on TV. But I feel like I wanted to try this. I wanted to see what the actual impact it makes on my life.
I'll still have the local news, Lost, American Idol and 24. I'm sure I'll be able to surf my 10 channels as easily as I've been able to surf my 250. I'll still have to be cognizant of my time, but this should make it easier. Summer time is coming up and TV isn't very good during that time anyway. Baseball doesn't get me near as excited as it used to so I don't think I'll miss it that much. I'm just looking for an excuse to pick up a book instead of turning on the tube.
I think the station that I will miss the most if ESPNews. It is different than ESPN or ESPN 2 in the fact that all it does is go over the sports news of the day. It doesn't broadcast games, special features or other programming. It's pretty much all news and highlights of the days games. It also has a ticker at the bottom of the screen that constantly updates the scores of the ongoing games. I love this channel.
You also need to know that I'll more than likely be upgrading the TV package in September for college football season. With The Mountain channel reaching an agreement with DirecTV it means that I'll be doing whatever it takes for me to not miss a football or basketball game. However this will be a good, healthy process for me to go through.
As I called the satellite company to downgrade the package I told Becky, "It'll only take one phone call to change this all back if I need to." Wish me luck.
I know that some of you don't have cable or you don't watch much TV so this isn't really earth shattering news. However for me, this is kind of a big deal. I'll admit that I like TV. I watch more TV than I probably should and I've actually made strides to watch better content on TV. But I feel like I wanted to try this. I wanted to see what the actual impact it makes on my life.
I'll still have the local news, Lost, American Idol and 24. I'm sure I'll be able to surf my 10 channels as easily as I've been able to surf my 250. I'll still have to be cognizant of my time, but this should make it easier. Summer time is coming up and TV isn't very good during that time anyway. Baseball doesn't get me near as excited as it used to so I don't think I'll miss it that much. I'm just looking for an excuse to pick up a book instead of turning on the tube.
I think the station that I will miss the most if ESPNews. It is different than ESPN or ESPN 2 in the fact that all it does is go over the sports news of the day. It doesn't broadcast games, special features or other programming. It's pretty much all news and highlights of the days games. It also has a ticker at the bottom of the screen that constantly updates the scores of the ongoing games. I love this channel.
You also need to know that I'll more than likely be upgrading the TV package in September for college football season. With The Mountain channel reaching an agreement with DirecTV it means that I'll be doing whatever it takes for me to not miss a football or basketball game. However this will be a good, healthy process for me to go through.
As I called the satellite company to downgrade the package I told Becky, "It'll only take one phone call to change this all back if I need to." Wish me luck.

4 Comments:
Woah! I'm shocked but very excited because now you'll have more time to blog and that means more entertainment for me.
On several occasions during the last year, Rob has said to me, "I'm so glad we don't have cable." The first time he said it, I about fell out of my seat. I asked him to repeat himself to make sure I heard him correctly. I never, ever, in a million years thought I would hear him speak those words. (He never thought he would say them either.) But as our girls have grown older and are more influenced by what they watch on TV, we have been extremely grateful that they don't have certain channels readily available to them.
And you know the best part about only having 10 channels? It only takes about 30 seconds to figure out there's nothing on TV.
So I assume you don't have TiVo either. Are you going to be okay? I'm proud of you. I think you are making a very responsible decision. Good job.
That's huge, Scott. I'm proud. And as Becky eloquently pointed out, I've actually come to enjoy it. You may, too. It's allowed me to love PBS and our community access Christian station.
We still have our DVR, I don't think we can ever go back to watching "real time" tv. It's great to be able to watch what you want when you want.
I was soooo proud of Scotty for making this big step in his life. I about fell off my chair when he first mentioned it. I guess miracles do happen.
Now maybe we can talk again without pausing the tv. :D
Post a Comment
<< Home