Monday, May 05, 2008

Zion Month

Our ward back in Afton had a thing called Zion Month. It was basically trying to live the best you could for a whole month. Meaning doing your home teaching, saying all the requisite prayers, going to church (it didn't mention actually listening in church) etc. etc.

I have adapted the Zion Month philosophy in my own personal life for the month of May. I've created spiritual, physical and personal goals just for the month to see if I can achieve my optimum level.

May is a good month for me because we're not traveling anywhere. I'll be pretty busy at work, but the whole "spring is here" feeling motivates me to do stuff. So I laid out my goals (most of which piggy back on my New Years Resolutions) and I created the required spreadsheet that is now sitting on my fridge to remind me of all my monthly duties and an area to check them off when completed. Just like Aubree's sticker chart.

By the way on my New Years goals, April wasn't a complete disaster, but it didn't advance my personal well being at all. We went to St. George for a week for a conference and pretty much ate a lot. I didn't work out at all during that week and then it slowed my motivation for the rest of the month.

Hence Zion Month is here to shock me back into compliance. Remember that I'm attempting this for one month. It's not a long term success plan, but I kind of want to challenge myself. Here are the goals:

Spiritual
Scripture Study Everyday (no skipping Saturday)
Personal Prayer Morn/Night
Family Prayer Morn/Night (no skipping Saturday mornings or oddly enough Sunday mornings either)
Temple 1 Time (similar to yearly goals- a better goal would be two times, but that's a tough one time wise)
Read Entire Ensign (similar to yearly goal but it's the conference edition and we still haven't received it, this one could be the toughest of the goals)

Physical
No sugar entire month
No soda
No Fast Food at all (Subway is allowed)
No eating after 9:00 P.M.
In Bed- 11:00 P.M. weekdays 12:00 A.M. weekends (Holy Ghost goes to bed at midnight)
Exercise 6 days a week (no skipping Saturdays)

Personal
Blog once a week
Limit TV (news, American Idol, Lost, NBA playoffs, church programs) I know you're thinking "That's a limit?" but for me it is. I'm trying to get away from idling where I'm just surfing waiting to catch a Simpsons of Seinfeld. If you knew my habits you would understand that this will be a challenge.

It's May 5 and I'm still "perfect". If I get translated on May 31st you'll know why. If any of you want a similar challenge then let me know and I'll email you my spreadsheet (this means you Becky D. if you ever read this).

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie B said...

I think that's a great idea. I've fallen off the bandwagon since Trav got home. I need to get back on and do all those things mentioned. What a great motivator, Scotty.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I absolutely love reading about your goals and your progress with the goals you set. You would think at some point I would find it inspirational enough to actually try to improve myself. But...I don't. You're putting me to shame, Scotty, but I still support you completely!

So are you saying that Becky isn't participating in Zion Month? And don't you dare go get translated and leave your wife all alone to rear the children!

Wednesday, May 07, 2008  
Blogger Scott's Blog said...

Don't worry, if I get translated the kids are coming with me. They are perfect little beings.

As for Becky......

Thursday, May 08, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Send me the spreadsheet. I could use improvement in all of those areas. Good for you Scotty.

Sunday, May 11, 2008  
Blogger Becky said...

what?????

Scotty is motivational and is constantly improving himself. He sets a good example for me.

I decided I just want to be perfect in one area. I'll get too overwhelmed if I try too many things at once, even if it's only for one month.

My goal to be perfect in is exercising 5 days a week. So far, I've done it using our eliptical. I have a sore ankle and it doesn't hurt that bad.

See, I read your blog Scotty.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008  
Blogger Scott's Blog said...

Boy and not a week too soon.

Tuesday, May 13, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home