Getting to Know You
I started by googling "speed dating questions" thinking that it would come up with a list of get-to-know you questions. But they were all about relationships and "why did you break up with your last girlfriend" type questions.
That led me to google "get to know you questions" and all the questions I've put down were from the first link. It was some sort of Mormon site and the questions were for young women. Whatever, I'll give it a go.
Why were you given your particular name?
My full name is actually John Scott Darrington. I go by Scott since my dad goes by John. I'm a fifth generation John Darrington.
For future reference for those that intend to have their kids use their middle name. It can be a bit of a hassle on legal documents, drivers license, etc. Sometimes I have to explain the whole "fifth generation" thing so that they understand why I sign things J. Scott Darrington.
On the flip side the J. Scott Darrington thing gives me a leg up on General Authority status. I'm expecting a phone call from Salt Lake at any time. After all President Monson was called as an Apostle at my age.
How many brothers and sisters do you have?
Four sisters:
Melissa- Lehi, Utah
Becky- Redding, California
Stephanie- Odenton, Maryland
Kim- Richland, Washington
Two brothers:
Spencer- Duvall, Washington
Marcus- Dodging Tornadoes, Minnesota
Random fact: All of my siblings and myself graduated from Campbell County High School (Go Camels!) in Gillette, Wyoming. Yet none of us have chosen to take residence in Wyoming. Hmmmm....maybe that's saying something.
What is your favorite thing to do?
Attending BYU football games has to be my favorite thing to do. It's brought tears to my eyes at times.
What is your favorite food?
All of it. I really like Godfathers Pizza, Temari (Japanese restaurant), my own homemade spaghetti (Becky hates it), homemade macaroni and cheese (Becky makes it just like how my mom used to).
I also really like: http://scogg.blogspot.com/2008/01/stupid-wendys.html
What is your favorite book?
I'll exclude the Peter Priesthood answer even though the Book of Mormon is great and it keeps getting better.
But I can't really narrow it down to one book, but my favorite type of books are non-fiction, insider type, sports books. For example I just finished a book called Seven Seconds or Less about the 2005-06 Phoenix Suns. The author spent the whole season with them and wrote about what happened in the locker room, on the bench during games, conversations during time-outs, etc. Pretty much all the stuff that the general public never has access to.
What is your favorite candy bar?
It's been awhile since I've had a candy bar, but a Snickers is always good. I like Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and if I'm in jolly ol' England it would be a Yorkie with Almonds. It's been a long while since I've had one of those.
What is your favorite cookie?
White chocolate chip macadamia nut.
What is your favorite sport?
My favorite to play is basketball and my favorite to watch is college football.
What is your favorite kind of music?
Probably rock n' roll of some sort. I like things that are a little more upbeat.
What is your favorite song?
Possibly "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica, but the favorite songs I listen to on the Ipod change from time to time.
What do you want to be when you grow up?
Well, since this was geared for young women I would have to say "being a mother". But since I'm not a young woman and I'm pretty much committed to a career, I'll have to say that when I was 16 years old I had absolutely no idea what I wanted to be.
In fact my career choise was probably made when I graduated from BYU in 1995 and decided to go to graduate school. That was about the time I decided what I wanted to do for a living.
How many kids do you want when you get married?
Before I was married I thought that five was a good number. Then for a while I thought one would be a good number. Now I would be totally happy if we're able to get to four. But I've learned long ago that we don't get to choose that number. At this point we'll take whatever we can get.
What is your favorite temple?
I would have to say Masonic.
I guess it's Salt Lake since I got married there and all. But aren't they all pretty much the same when you get indoors?
What place would you like to visit?
Hawaii. Definitely will need to get there someday. Can anyone say "10-Year Anniversary" next year?
What is your favorite thing about your mom?
Mom was always fun. You could be doing something and if Mom joined in it became more fun.
What is your favorite thing about your dad?
Going to ballgames with Dad. I kind of miss it now that their 3,000 miles away.
What is your favorite thing about yourself?
Way too many things to narrow it down to just one. Being extremely humble is one of them.
Do you like to sing?
No. And if you knew what was good for you, you would want that answer to stay intact.
Do you like to dance?
This is a little more complicated. The short answer is "no". Hypothetically speaking, if I'm dancing around with the girls in the living room with the blinds closed then......"yes".
Do you like to play a musical instrument?
Nope. Not really.
What musical instruments can you play?
Define "play". I played the piano and the bassoon at one time. Yep, you read that right. The bassoon.
What is your favorite type of art?
What the heck type of question is that? "None" is the correct answer.
Have you ever seen a broadway musical? Do you like theater?
"No" to the broadway musical, but we did have season tickets to Hale Center Theater for a couple of years. I'm a very closeted theater fan. I would only admit it to the six people who read this blog.
Do you like building things?
No. I like to pay people to build things.
What would you like to learn about cars?
Anything that will allow me to fix them myself without having to sign my life over to the neighborhood auto fixer-upper dude.
What would you like to teach others about?
Deep and philosophical question. How about "Which is better right now BYU football or basketball"? Any takers?
What are three adjectives which describe you?
Smart, funny, good-looking. I'm a triple threat. Oh, and don't forget extremely humble.
How would your friend describe you to someone who has never seen you?
[Insert photo of Brad Pitt here]
Something similar to the photo above.
In five years, what kind of person will you be?
In ten years, what kind of person will you be?
Smart, funny, and good-looking. Things won't change.
What do you want to be doing in five years?
What do you want to be doing in ten years?
I don't think I can answer any of these questions. My guess is I'll be making some lame post on my blog.
What were your favorite subjects in school?
I always kind of liked math, but would never admit that to anybody. I also liked studying the social sciences: Psychology, sociology, economics, geography, history, political science.
When you have an hour of free time, what do you like to do?
What I do: Veg out in front of the TV.
What I should be doing: Playing with the girls, reading stories, helping Becky with the dishes, picking up stuff in the front room, reading scriptures, exercising etc. etc. and so on and so forth.
What is your favorite church movie?
Church produced movie or movie with a LDS theme?
Church produced: Labor of Love, Together Forever, The Phone Call, Cipher in the Snow
LDS Themed: The Best Two Years, God's Army I and II, The Singles Ward
What is the strangest thing you ever did?
I really don't know how answer questions like this because everything I do I consider normal.
Like this: http://scogg.blogspot.com/2007/04/blogging-burgers.html
What is the strangest food you ever ate?
See post above.

3 Comments:
That's a fun idea to blog answers to get-to-know-you questions. I'll have to pass that idea along to Rob. For some reason I didn't realize we all graduated from the same high school. That's kind of amazing considering there were seven of us. And I though the real highlight was your answers to the last two questions.
As I said,
"I love 'The Phone Call' too!"
Scotty replied,
"That was a joke, Becky."
That was so much fun. YEAH FOR ZIONS MONTH!!!! I giggled at so many of your responses - I think I may have to steal your idea.
Post a Comment
<< Home